For individuals or businesses looking for a modern and easy-to-use automated external defibrillator, a WiFi AED with cellular connectivity is a great option. Just like any other device that’s connected to the internet, a portable defibrillator with a wireless internet connection stays up-to-date, is always connected to your system, and provides a steady stream of data when the device is in use.
Automated external defibrillators are essential devices that can save lives in the case of sudden cardiac arrest. The importance of having an up-to-date, well-maintained system shouldn’t be underestimated. Though WiFi (Wi-Fi) connectivity isn’t the only consideration to take into account when choosing an AED model, it offers several advantages.
What Are the Benefits of a WiFi AED?
According to 2022 statistics from the American Heart Association, there are more than 356,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in the United States every year and just over 10% of EMS-treated victims survive to hospital discharge. Moreover, according to a cost-effectiveness analysis of smartphone-enabled pocket-size AEDs for the rapid treatment of cardiac arrest, wireless defibrillators for high-risk individuals could prevent more than 100,000 sudden cardiac deaths in people aged 45 years and above.
When responding to a cardiac arrest, the advanced technology offered by WiFi-enabled models saves time and resources for individuals as well as large organizations. In both cases, emergency responders can receive patient information before reaching the scene, helping them provide a quicker and more tailored response.
1. Wireless Connectivity Keeps You Informed of Your AED’s Status At All Times
One of the main advantages of connecting your defibrillator to a WiFi (Wi-Fi) network is being able to check device readiness at any time and from anywhere. WiFi AEDs provide automatic status reports, but you can also monitor readiness remotely when you are away.
2. Automatic Record Generation Helps You Demonstrate Compliance
If a device is WiFi enabled, you can record information from your daily, weekly, or monthly tests to help you demonstrate that you are in compliance with AED maintenance requirements. Different WiFi-enabled AED models offer different features, but you may be able to monitor the following:
- Power status
- Battery capacity
- Battery and pad expiration dates
- Whether the pads/electrodes are connected
- ECG, CPR, and audio circuitry
- Microprocessor hardware or software
Keeping track of this information will help ensure that your device is always ready to use.
3. Event Data Can Help Emergency Responders
Cardiac arrest event data can be transferred to first responders and medical professionals in the hospital instantly through a wireless or cellular network. Receiving this information before reaching the scene can help emergency responders get a clear picture of what is going on prior to contact with the patient, saving precious time once they arrive.
The information gained from a connected AED can also be collected by your supervising physician and health departments. This information, in turn, can help them shape future patient treatment protocols and potentially improve cardiac statistics around the country.
4. Ease and Convenience of Use
Though maintaining a functional AED is an important safety consideration for many businesses and facilities, frequently checking and maintaining an AED is a time-consuming process. A device that offers continuous self-monitoring can save your business time and resources.
Additionally, a wireless AED offers increased convenience by:
- Providing location information
- Automatically passing on event data to the supervising physician
- Automatically upgrading software, avoiding cumbersome and time-consuming manual upgrades
The Best WiFi-Enabled AEDs
Choosing the best WiFi AED for your business will depend on the features you are looking for as well as your budget. For example, the best AED for a boat may be different from the best AED for a tennis club—aside from connectivity considerations.
The following are two of the top WiFi-enabled portable defibrillators:
Physio-Control LIFEPAK CR2 AED
The Physio-Control LIFEPAK CR2 is an excellent option with many features including:
- A simple and intuitive design that is easy to use even for people with no experience
- Easy-to-follow voice coaching. Users are given audible instructions in English or Spanish that take them through the steps of CPR and shock delivery. A metronome helps the user to follow the optimal pace for chest compressions.
- Durable. The device offers high resistance against dust and water penetration, which can be useful when treating patients who have suffered an accident in or around water.
- cprINSIGHT™ Analysis. This technology allows chest compressions to continue during an ECG, reducing pauses in CPR which may, in turn, improve survival rates.
- LIFELINKcentral. Owners of the device can check device readiness, battery level, and electrode expiry dates remotely. The CR2 also provides the owner with real-time alerts when the pads have been placed and the device is in use.
- Child-mode button. This attenuates the energy delivered to younger patients during defibrillation.
- Emergency services support. Real-time data can be sent to the emergency services, including the patient’s heart rhythm and the number of shocks that have been delivered.
The LIFEPAK CR2 is also available in a value package that includes the device along with a carry case, a user manual, an AED First Responder Kit, and an AED poster among other things.
ZOLL AED 3
The ZOLL AED 3 is another great option that offers the following features:
- WiFi connectivity
- A full-color display with color images that help the rescuer follow instructions for CPR
- A timer for chest compressions
- A color bar to show the depth of compressions
- Touchscreen capabilities
- Visual and audible cues
- High resistance to dust, high pressure, and water spray
- Available in semi-automatic and fully-automatic configurations
- This model provides a single solution for adult and child patients: You can use the same pads for a child by putting the device in “child mode.”
ZOLL accessories are also available, depending on your needs. A sling backpack is an excellent option for defibrillators that may need to be transported, and a wall mount keeps AEDs visible and protected.
A WiFi-Enabled AED Saves Time and Resources and Provides Unparalleled Emergency Care
When choosing an AED, safety and ease of use are at the forefront of the consumer’s mind. Providing lifesaving treatment with high-quality CPR and electric shocks is easy even for a layperson thanks to cutting-edge devices that take you through the process step by step.
From a business point of view, WiFi AEDs also make sense. Having a device that looks after itself takes away time-consuming manual checks without compromising your defibrillator’s ability to provide a shock in the case of cardiac arrest.